A blog about me, Indiana, family and fun.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

So in an effort to have this blog be useful as I stated yesterday, I have deceided to have a "Receipe of the Week" Feature. These will include, but are not limited to "Old Favorites", "Family Reciepes" and " New Finds". I also will gladly take requests. Just send me an email or post a suggestion of what receipe you would like to see. I have deceided to start with one that Dad and I have had a few times but I don't think I ever served to you kids when you were little. It is defineately for Special Occassions as it is somewhat expensive and for sure not low calorie. It typically was served to Dad on an Anniversary, either when you kids were in bed or we went out of town and stayed in a trailer in a camp ground over our Anniversary weekend. It's called Barbecued Shrimp, although I have no idea why as it has nothing to do with a barbeque! It is supposed to be like a Shrimp Dish that is served in New Orleans. It is very spicey and quite messy. You will need towels with this one. I would serve this with a starch probably rice or pasta a green salad and a fancy dessert.

Also, in an effort to have this blog be useful as well as fun I am going to be telling some stories from my childhood, teenage years and early married life. I think this might help with some family history. And if not, some of these stories might be good for a laugh.
Barbecued Shrimp
3 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 lb. margine
2 T. Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. basil
1/4 t. thyme
1 t. fresh-ground coarse black pepper
1/2 t. oregano
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T. Rex Crab Boil or similar brand (available in most fish markets and many supermarkets)
1/2 t. Tabasco
1 1/2 lbs. large Shrimp with shells
Preheat oven to 375
In a small frying pan fry bacon until clear. Add the margarine and all other ingredients except the shrimp. Simmer for 5 min. Place the shrimp in an open baking dish and pour the sauce over the top. Stir once to coat all of the shrimp. Bake uncovered for 20 min., stirring twice during the baking process. Serve hot and at once! You may peel the shrimp before you eat them, but not before cooking. A lot of people eat them shell and all leaving just the tails. (This is how they are eaten in New Orleans) Dad of course eats the whole thing including the tail. I peel mine and then eat them. It is up to you. Have a towel ready for everyone. The receipe says it serves 6. However, I am pretty sure that Dad and I ate the whole thing. (Remember, the little t. stands for teaspoon and the big T. stands for Tablespoon) I hope you enjoy this.







2 comments:

  1. Mmm that sounds good. A very special treat! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy--when I'm rich someday I'll have to try it :)
    I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete

Followers